Monday, August 6, 2007

Philly

Since arriving in Philly, I've eaten the requisite cheeseteak (albeit a chicken one-very tasty), bought some forgotten items, taken my first dose of malaria prophylaxis (no vivid dreams yet, but maybe in my next blog...), and enjoyed my own hotel room (only one of two people in the group with their own room)!

AND, I've met the rest of my group. There are a total of 22 of us in the group. We are all health volunteers. PEPFAR (President's Emergency Plan for Aids Relief), to be more specific. There's one married couple. There are 18 girls and 4 boys in the group. Everyone in the group seems cool so far. I guess it's hard to tell, since we've only been together for less than 48 hrs. I'm sure that we'll turn into a perfectly dysfunctional family in no time.

The process of getting to know each other and getting acquainted with the Peace Corps actually reminds me a lot of the Teaching Fellows-being thrown into a situation where you're totally unpreprared, know no one, but the other people in your group are in the same exact boat as you, and will be your lifeline for the next two years. Only this time, I'll be on an entirely different continent and not speak the local language.

We leave for JFK tomorrow morning at 11. I get to be in charge of other people's passports and tickets! hehehe They obviously don't know me that well if they're letting me be in charge of such things... I arrive in Uganda on August 8th at 10 p.m. , and get bused to a resort called "Banana Village"! We get to hand out there for 4 days there before they ship us off to Luwero for PST (pre-service training) for 9 weeks.

Adieu for now. I'll post again when I'm by a computer with Internet!