Tuesday, October 9, 2007

October 8, 2007

This morning, as I was walking to training, I saw a man herding a cow…by pushing it.

Wild Animals
The only wild animals I've seen around so far are chickens, goats, pigs, and cows. That's not to say that some of these don't scare me. A chicken actually attempting to kill me yesterday. Flew straight at my head. Screamed like a girl and ran away. And I almost got run over by a cow at one point somewhere around week 5. I just hope I never encounter a snake.

Future Site
Last week was pretty crazy. Got up super early on Tuesday to head out to K'la and on to Mbarara. As usual, the matatu drivers are crazy. But the buses out to Mbarara are even crazier, especially since the roads are actually paved and decent. I have to say, Mbarara is BEAUTIFUL. There are hills, mountains, and trees galore. And a bit less dust than L'wero. I can definitely see myself living in Mbarara. It doesn't hurt that Mbarara is also a bigger town than L'wero. Makes me feel a bit more at home. And there are plenty of hills around for me to pitch my tent on.

Goat Stock
…is the equivalent of Halloween in Uganda. I'm not quite sure if it's a PC thing or not. I want to say yes. Apparently it's a big thing in PC, but we don't get to attend this year since we're newbies and still in training. L Luckily, I still have two years to experience this wonder of a holiday. There are costumes involved, but I'm not sure about the candy. I can live without the candy, but a Twix would be damn good right about now.


Tomorrow is the Ugandan Independence Day. And I still have to go to class. Life blows. My Homestay family is surprised, as are the families of some of my friends. Who works on Independence Day? NO ONE, that's who! I tried to make the argument that by having the day off I would be assimilating into the Ugandan culture and that if I went to "work" on the national holiday, I would be offending the people of Uganda. The trainers didn't buy it.

On that note, I should go to bed so that I'm bright and cheery for my first class of the day. yay.